Here’s a hotel hack that is guaranteed to save you some money.
You may think that you are getting the best deal on a hotel via online booking websites (like booking.com) but it always wise to contact the hotel and see if you can get a better deal. Hotels love it when you book directly with them and will often try their best to beat the online price. Its 2 minutes of your time and the least you can do is try. What have you got to lose?
Booked a 2 night stay at Meriton Chatswood (in Sydney) for 1 Bedroom suite via Booking.com for $314. It was the best online deal and came with free cancellation.
Called Meriton directly and asked for their best price for the same 2 nights – it came to $280 for the same 1 Bedroom suite with free cancellation 24 hours prior to check in. Booked this deal and cancelled the previous booking! That’s a cool saving of $34 to spend on breakfast or parking.
Lazy tips: Here are some tips when booking a hotel:
- Always check the online prices before contacting the hotel. If you find a good deal online (especially during a busy period) and it comes with free cancellation, book it before calling the hotel (like my example above).
- Ask for the highest possible floor and a quiet room.
- Ask if there is free cancellation on the booking. The hotel may not tell you Confirm the cancellation policy is the same as the online booking (eg. Free cancellation to up 24 hours before check-in)
- Enquire about the possible of a late check-in.
- During check-in ask if its quiet and if so, whether its possible to get a free upgrade to a better room.
If you don’t ask, you won’t get! We hope this hotel hack will save you some money and help get this best possible room.
Check out our hotel hack to get a better night’s sleep.