Hyams Beach, Jervis Bay
Beach rating: 4.0/5
Type: Medium straight beach, steep descent into deeper waters
Waves: Small, choppy
Good for: Instragram, boogie boarding, surfing, picnic
Water Temp: Relatively warm in mid February
Facilities: Toilet and showers, cafe, car park
In my opinion, Hyams beach has the highest ‘look at me!’ factor of all the Jervis Bay beaches and has a touristy feel, especially in the busy summer months. It is indeed a spectacular sight when the skies are clear and sun is glaring down on this beach so keep your camera on standby for some magical Instagram shots. There are plenty of accommodation options nearby via booking.com nearly and Airbnb.
Hyams beach also boasts the ‘whitest sandy beach in Australia’ but it was hard to test this claim (sorry to let you down) because I didn’t have sand samples from the thousands of other beaches around Australia. But to give you an idea, sunglasses were handy to keep the glare away.
My tips for Hyams beach
- Try out the Hyams Beach Store & Cafe serves a decent cappuccino and great fish and chips.
- Plan a mid-week trip to avoid the crowds, find parking and a quiet spot on the beach. If you are there during the weekend, time your trip for early in the morning or late afternoon.
- A good pair of sunnies to protect your eyes. Ski goggles might be a better option.
- This is Jervis bay’s Bondi Beach so wear your best cossie!
- Book your summer accommodation early to get the best deal.
How to get to Cave Beach, Jervis Bay
From Sydney Airport:
From Canberra:HYAMS BEACH WEATHER
Check our lazy weekend guide to Jervis Bay here.