Mollymook Beach, Ulladulla
Lazy Society Beach rating: 4.5/5
Type: Long curvy beach which stretches for 2km
Waves: Calm to medium breaks
Feel: Mostly chilled out, but gets a bit busy during the school holiday summer months
Good for: Boogie boarding, body surfing, beach sports, snorkelling, diving, fishing, rock pools
Water Temp: Warmest from mid-February to mid-March
Facilities: Toilet and shower facilities, café, playground, BBQs, car park and beach side accommodation
Mollymook Beach is a stunning 2km beach located close to the Ulladulla town centre and is ideal for a lazy weekend getaway, especially from Canberra or Sydney.
This beach has it all – long white sandy beach, rook pools, change room facilities, a children’s play area, an awesome café, accommodation options next to the beach and a golf course overlooking it. The patrolled beach is immaculately clean, clear water and safe for swimming or catching waves when the tide is right. If you’re a surfer or body surfer and it’s your lucky day, you may also get to interact with wild dolphins spotted regularly on the surf. You may even spot whales if you’re there during their migration seasons as they make their up the east coast to have their young.
Mollymook beach is an ideal wedding spot with the Golf Club across the road catering for receptions of up to 200 people. You can have your dream beach marriage ceremony followed by a reception with magical views of Mollymook beach. The Mollymook Beach Hut Café (located right next door to the Mollymook Surf Life Saving Club) serves great coffee and is perfect to enjoy a lazy breakfast or alfresco lunch. You can sit here for hours and just take in the amazing view.
If you are a family with kids, there is a decent sized children’s play-ground and rock pools to get the kids tired. If you want to do some true Aussie outdoor entertaining next to the beach, there are also a couple of barbecues and picnic sites near the beach
The best time to visit Mollymook beach is during the Australian summer months from November to March. I would recommend booking accommodation for mid-February onwards to avoid the crowds and secure the best deal. If you’re from Canberra, surrounds or further down south, Mollymook Beach a great lazy weekend winter escape to get in some sun, the coastal breeze and creature comforts ideal for a families and couples.
My tips for Mollymook beach
- Booking a lazy weekend trip during the September – October period for a chance of spotting majestic whales straight from Mollymook Beach or your Waterfront accommodation.
- If you have young children, there’s hours of natural entertainment to be had at the ‘Bogey Hole’ which is a large circular rock pool located at the southern end of Mollymook Beach. You can access its car park via Riversdale Avenue across the Mollymook Golf Club.
- If you’re an experienced diver, you may wish to check out the rocky headlands and central reef.
- If you’re a couple looking for a quiet lazy weekend getaway in the summer, the best time is when the water is warmest from mid-February to mid-March and you’ll avoid the school crowd.
- Enjoy a morning coffee from the Mollymook Golf Club bistro and take in the views.
- Grab a coffee and fish and chips from Mollymook Beach Hut Café and enjoy the sunrise or sunset.
- Take a walk along the beach at low tide.
How to get to Mollymook Beach, Ulladulla
From Sydney Airport:
From Canberra:MOLLYMOOK BEACH WEATHER
Check our lazy weekend guide to Ulladulla here.